The Australian federal government has proposed some changes to the immigration system. The amendments are proposed to attract more skilled workers to their shores. With the change in the financial year, there are many migration changes took place in Australia. Some of them are complex enough to confuse you. You need professional guidance or an expert’s opinion to simplify it for you. No worries, Migration Doctors are the one for you. The information is provided to offer straightforward and clear amendments or changes in any visa stream. We work with a goal to keep you updated with the latest information so that you can plan according before coming to Australia.
2023 is known to be the exciting and most welcoming year for Australian immigration aspirants. There is a high number of allocations for general skilled migration programs with a fast-track process. Given are the highlighted variations made by the Australian immigration that will keep you updated before a plan to move to Australia in 2023 whether for study, visitor, or migration. Take a look at that:
Changes in the Australian Visas 2023
Take a look at the list of updates done by the Australian migration that affect your decisions to be in Australia.
1. Sponsorship Visas Holders Can Now File Their Application for Permanent Visas
As per new amendments in immigration by the Australian Federal Government. All Australian sponsorship visa holders are eligible to file their application for the permanent employer nomination 186. One should qualify on the medium to Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) with the Short-Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) or with the Regional Occupation List (ROL) with 482 visas.
Important note- This change has not come into effect yet but chances are higher that will be effective soon.
2. The path from TSS Visa to Get Your PR
By the completion of 2023, the Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) of the Employer Nomination Scheme SC 186 will get the required amendments and you will enjoy below mentioned benefits:
- All categories of Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) SC 482 visa holders will now be fit for ENS employer sponsor visas.
- Sponsored visa holders are now fit for ENS TRT within the completion of 2 years of sponsorship on a TSS by the employer.
- Applicants need to continue their work with occupation nomination for the TSS visas.
- Candidates are required to fulfil nomination and visa requirements for the TRT stream of employer Nomination Scheme Visa.
- Now there will be no limit on Short-Term Stream TSS visa applications for onshore applicants in the interim.
3. Changes to the rules for sponsoring employers
Support visa holders have a certain amount of time to find a new sponsor after their support with the first sponsor is over. The process takes 60 days, but because of recent changes, it now takes 6 months. During this time, the candidates can work as much as they want.
Important Note- The rule change is announced right now but not implemented yet. Still, this is amazing news for the sponsorship visa holders as will allow fair working conditions and enjoy more benefits at work too.
4. Increase in Minimum Salary
Earlier, the minimum salary package for the Sponsorship 481 TSS visa was $53,000 which has now increased to $70,000. The new change is known as the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT) and has not changed in the last 10 years.
5. Faster and Easier Process for Sponsoring UK Citizens
The long-awaited Australia-UK Fair Trade Agreement (UKFTA) has come into effect on 31 May 2023. This agreement offers investment, trade, and movement of capital and people of both countries UK and Australia. According to the agreement, it gives UK citizens mobility to Australia for moving and working. Some changes took place which include:
- With the new Free Trade Agreement between the UK and Australia, employers are not required to show evidence to attempt to find Australian workers. It was required to fill the position before hiring the foreign worker. This is known as Labour Market Testing and the complexity of the process delays the actual process by 28 days at least. Now, UK passport holders are eligible to lodge their applications for a 482 visa and this can be done faster. The immigration changes have eased out the sponsoring UK citizens to work in Australia to overcome the skills shortage.
- From July 1, 2023, UK passport holders can apply for a Working Holiday Visa if they are between 18 to 35.
- The professional bodies have licensed the process to facilitate the change of qualified professionals between the UK and Australia.
- At the point of skill shortage, cross-border expertise will be critical for the success of both nations. Check our website for the latest news and amendments.
- From July 1, 2024, UK passport holders will be granted 3 extra working Holiday Visas and it is not required any special work requirements.
6. Changes in Work Permission for Student Visa Holders
After July 1, 2023, Australian Student Visa Holders are able to work 48 hours per fortnight. The rules were amended earlier and at the time of the COVID outbreak and Pandemic situation. From January 2022, there were relaxed work limits on the Student Visa Holders on a temporary basis. This allows primary and secondary student visa holders to work over 40 hours per fortnight to overcome the skill shortage in Australia due to the pandemic situation.
7. Australia 485 Graduate Visa Updates
After July 1, 2023, foreign students seeking their degree in Australia need the Nominated Skilled Occupation on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL). They require a positive skills assessment before filling out their application for graduate visa 485 for the Graduate Work Stream. Along with that graduates who want to work post-study will get the extension of their graduate Visas. This extension will make them eligible for listed qualifications by Australian Immigration.
8. Aged Care Workers Are Eligible to Apply for Sponsored Visa and Permanent Resident
Aged Care workers are eligible to apply for a TSS 482 Sponsorship Visa. With this visa, they will be able to live and work in Australia for up to 4 years after completion of 2 years of full-time work experience. Then, they can apply for permanent residence using the employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186).
These are the major changes and updates announced by the Australian federal government. These immigration changes and visa news can impact your current scenarios for planning to visit Australia. No matter what your reason for being in Australia, this could impact your plans. If your case falls in any of these changes then you need professional guidance. With their experience and knowledge of the industry, the professionals will assist you in filling out the application and assure you there is no reason for the visa denial or delay.
Coming to Australia to study, to be with your family, or to work is always an exciting thing. You need a visa before visiting. Certain rules and guidelines for visa filling help you with quick approval. Knowing of same will make things fall in space, if not, then also not a problem, Migration Doctors are the leading migration agents in Australia. We have a team of MARA registered migration agents working with us who are updated with the latest amendments and updates for the visa process to be in Australia. The idea is to just visit us and our team of professionals will guide you and assures you will get quick visa approvals. For more information and personalised requirements feel free to give us a call!